For Immediate Release:Absentee voting for theDemocratic Primary begins on . Many Alexandria voters are eligible to vote absentee, for example, if they are:
- Away for personal business, work, vacation, active military service or at school.
- Working and commuting for 11 or more hours between on Election Day. Take into account those days when traffic is heavy or the weather is bad and it takes longer than usual to get to and from work.
- Physically unable to go to the polls because of an illness or disability.
- A caregiver for a confined family member.
- A “first responder” (firefighter, law enforcement, emergency medical technician, search and rescue).
To learn more about these, and other circumstances in which absentee voting is an appropriate option, visit alexandriava.gov/
Elections and click on “Absentee Voting,” or call 703.746.4050.
Absentee Voting in PersonThe deadline for voting absentee in person is Saturday, June 6, atIn-person absentee voting hours and locations are as follows:Office of Voter Registrations and Elections, 132 N. Royal St. #100through , (closed Monday, May 25)Extended hours for in-person absentee voting:
ID Requirements for Absentee VotingVirginia's photo ID requirements apply to absentee voters who cast their absentee ballot in person. They do not apply to absentee voters who request an absentee ballot by mail.Acceptable forms of photo identification include:
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License or DMV-issued Photo Identification Card
- Valid United States Passport or Passport Card
- Valid Military ID
- Other government-issued photo identification card (from the U.S. Government, the Commonwealth of Virginia, or a local government within Virginia)
- Valid student photo identification card from an institution of higher education located in Virginia
- Valid employee photo identification card
Voters who do not have acceptable ID may apply for an ID (and receive a temporary ID) at the same time they come to cast their in-person absentee ballot.
Absentee Voting By MailThe deadline to apply for an absentee ballot by mail is Tuesday, June 2. Applications must be received in the Voter Registration Office by alexandriava.gov/Elections, or by contacting the Alexandria Voter Registration Office at 703.746.4050. Completed (signed) absentee applications can be submitted in person or by mail to the Voter Registration Office (132 N. Royal Street, Suite 100, Alexandria, VA 22314); or can be sent by fax (703.838.6449), or scanned email attachment to VoteAbsentee@alexandriava.on that day. Absentee ballot applications are available online at
gov.Mailed absentee ballots must be received by the Voter Registration Office no later thanon Election Day, . The ballot may be returned by mail or delivered personally by the voter.
What’s on the Ballot?In Alexandria, the June Ballot will include a Democratic Primary for the Virginia House of Delegates in the 45th District (the fourteen precincts east of King Street) and a citywide Democratic Primary for Mayor.There is no Republican Primary this June. Instead, the Republican Party will hold a Party Canvass to nominate its candidates for the November election.The voter registration deadline for this election is vote.virginia.gov.. You may submit or update your registration information online atFor complete information on this election, including voter registration requirements, sample ballots, precinct maps and photo ID requirements, visit alexandriava.gov/