Alexandria Mom's Calendar of Events

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Alexandria Student Launches School Pantry


Dear Neighbors: 
I am forwarding the attached on behalf of my daughter and a project she is launching for our community. She appreciates your consideration. 

ALEXANDRIA STUDENTS LAUNCHES A SCHOOL SUPPLY PANTRY FOR ALEXANDRIA K-12 STUDENTS

My name is Mary Kate Mull and I am a 7th Grade Student at St Mary's School. A few months ago, I noticed that I was running low on school supplies -- thankfully my mother was able to replenish me but I wondered about other students in Alexandria who might not have the same support I do.  

After doing some research and visiting Alexandria locations like the Alexandria - Dunbar Boys and Girls Club -- I confirmed there was need for school supplies throughout the year. To address the issue I am creating aSCHOOL SUPPLY PANTRY at the Boys and Girls Club that will offer their students, currently ---- over 140 students from 8 Alexandria Public Schools ---- the supplies they need to be the best they can be. 

Why the Boys and Girls Club? That's easy -- it is home every school day to over 140 students from 8 public schools. This vibrant Club supports the students with many school based programs. and its the perfect way to reach students from across Alexandria. And their Executive Director Alston Waller had an awesome response to the project!!  

What is needed? I surveyed the students themselves and the list if very similar to what you would expect: Three Hole Punch paper; ballpoint pens; pencils; markers in all shapes; spiral notebooks; composition notebooks; 3 ringed binders; presentation folders; rulers; index cards; flash drives; erasers (we all make mistakes) pencil cases; copy paper; construction paper; crayons; presentation boards; poster boards; glue; glue sticks -- whatever you can imagine would be helpful.  

How Can I Help?: Pick up a few items and drop them at any of these locations --  

1430 Russell Road, Alexandria 22301 (any day or time) or the Boys and Girls Club 401 N. Payne Street, Alexandria, VA ( 2 - 6 pm M - Friday)

Prefer to order and mail supplies?: The link below will take you to an Amazon Wish list below and Items can be shipped to Alexandria Dunbar Boys and Girls Club. 401 N. Payne Street, Alexandria, VA https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/15KHUWZ8VJIUL/ref=topnav_lists_1

Can I forward this email? YES, BY ALL MEANS YES!! SPREAD THE WORD!!! or contact me to set up a sub drive or drop location. 


Need a tax deduction?: Just send the receipt and a note to alexandriaschoolsply@gmail.com 

It is our hope to make this an ongoing project that will support Alexandria Students for years to come.

Thank you for helping our future!!!!!

CFC and United Way Designation Campaign
October 1st-December 31st
Remember to designate BGCGW
CFC #44919 or United Way #8047 

Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington. Great Futures Start Here.



From Neighborhood Listserv

No comments:

Post a Comment